Siting and Acoustics Engineer - U.S.A.
Why you should work for us? Because within DNV GL’s Renewables Advisory group, organizational culture, and more specifically how we collectively influence the world for future generations, matters deeply to us. Our team works every day to increase the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society; endeavors to achieve our purpose through the success of our customers; and strives to be high-performing and innovative. Our approach reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world.
Brief Team and Position Summary:
The Environmental and Permitting Services (EPS) team is growing rapidly, and we are seeking an intelligent and collaborative Siting and Acoustics Engineer to help us provide comprehensive siting services in North America. This position can based out of any DNV GL office in the continental U.S.
The EPS team is comprised of siting, environmental, and permitting specialists who work directly with our customers to help identify and address project risks. Our mission is to guide the sustainable, responsible growth of the renewables industry by providing innovative environmental and permitting expertise to support the greater good.
Our Customers are primarily developers and utilities, developing wind (onshore and offshore), solar, and battery and energy storage projects across the U.S., Canada and internationally. Broadly, our work falls into four categories:
- Biological services, including field surveys, habitat conservation plans, corporate avian and bat protection plans, review of mitigation strategies, and associated permits.
- Permitting services, providing support for permitting at the federal, state, and local level for wind, solar, and battery storage projects; including stakeholder engagement.
- GIS services, including mapping, constraints reviews, radiocomm surveys, and critical issues analyses
- Siting services, including layout optimization, acoustical measurements, noise impact assessments, shadow flicker, blade/ice throw, and glint and glare studies.
Our Customers can choose any number of consultancies to execute on specific tasks. However, our EPS team strives to develop long-term partnerships with our Customers, acting as their trusted advisor from the earliest layouts through operations.
Our Customers are at the forefront of the energy transition. Principally, our team needs to remain nimble, retain our deep expertise in wind and solar PV while growing our competency to advise on energy storage and offshore wind developments.
Through this transition, our team is driven by our mission to ensure renewable energy projects are safely and sustainably designed, constructed and installed.
Acoustic and Siting Engineer Expected Responsibilities
- Provide acoustic engineering services (acoustic modelling and baseline environmental and turbine, module, inverter, and battery system measurements) across North America for on and offshore wind power projects, solar power projects, power transformers, and energy storage facilities, ensuring approach and analysis is aligned with local jurisdictional requirements across North America.
- Perform and eventually lead siting studies, including shadow flicker and visual impact assessments, visual simulations, ice/blade throw analyses, and project layout optimizations.
- Attend and eventually lead meetings with Customers to identify needs and develop commercially relevant technical solutions to optimize project siting and public acceptance
- Ensure the quality of the acoustic deliverables by being a self-driven engineer who can author high-quality reports and perform quality control and checking of other engineer’s work products, as well as facilitate the timely delivery of results and reports.
- Manage the delivery of services for clients, including kick-off meetings and regular communication with the client, and coordinating the delivery of work products with internal engineers and technicians.
- Ensure knowledge guidance and industry committee/working group participation in the field of acoustics and siting and ensure that DNV GL methodologies and expertise are at the forefront of the industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, acoustics or other relevant degree from accredited 4-year university.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience performing technical and project development activities within the renewable energy industry or equivalent education/experience (relevant experience from internships, Co-ops can be considered).
- Comprehensive understanding of the renewable energy and energy storage industries, physical acoustics, and local noise regulations in North America.
- Demonstrated skills and enthusiasm in facilitating project teams.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and reporting abilities.
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Capable of travelling to projects in development, construction and operational sites in varying locations (expected to be about 10-30% annual time).
- We conduct a pre-employment background check and drug screen
- Master’s degree in engineering, physics, acoustics other relevant degree from accredited graduate program.
- E.I.T., P.E. or P.Eng. licenses, and INCE certification.
- One year of experience in acoustic engineering services (more specifically, in environmental acoustic measurements for wind power plants, including measurement equipment and software for data analysis), or equivalent education/experience (relevant experience from internships, Co-ops can be considered).
- Demonstrated expertise with Cadna-A
Immigration-related benefits (for example, visa sponsorship) are not available for this position.
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
- DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights under the law, see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
- Local employment conditions apply.
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Apply Online at: https://careers-dnvgl.icims.com/jobs/14313/siting-and-acoustics-engineer---u.s./job