Senior Traffic Noise Engineer: Raleigh, NC
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don't take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork. We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with over 165 reviews.
We are looking for an experienced Traffic Noise engineer to join our Traffic Noise and Air Quality team in our Raleigh headquarters.
In this role you will:
- Conduct traffic noise analyses and review analyses done by contracted engineering firms.
- Provide your acoustic expertise related to traffic noise, highway project noise impacts, and noise abatement.
- Perform field monitoring and data collection operating Type I and Type II sound level meters.
- Build and run noise models using Traffic Noise Model 2.5 (TNM).
- Apply NCDOT Traffic Noise Policy feasibility and reasonableness criteria to determine recommended noise wall locations.
- Design sound barriers/noise walls.
- Prepare traffic and design noise reports.
- Review and approve all of the above work when it is performed by engineering contractor firms.
- Coordinate with private engineering firms and evaluate their work for completeness and technical accuracy.
- Review and approve scopes of work.
- Estimate labor and costs.
- Negotiate fees.
- Process invoices.
- Assist with the public-preference balloting process for recommended noise walls.
- Conduct planning, scheduling, assigning, tracking, and reporting.
- Participate in project team meetings and coordinate with project teams and all 14 NCDOT Divisions to insure noise and air analysis and abatement recommendations/design are conducted in compliance with applicable law and NCDOT policy and in keeping with project schedules.
- Participate in public meetings/hearings as a traffic noise subject matter expert.
- Respond to citizen concerns and questions about traffic noise and abatement.
- Provide needed expertise, technical assistance, and regulatory guidance on traffic noise and abatement, and project–level air quality considerations.
- Assist the Traffic Noise & Air Quality Group Leader with daily group activities administration.
- Conduct research and data collection related to emerging technologies and materials (e.g., tire/pavement noise using the On-Board Sound Intensity (OBSI) technology, evaluation of new noise wall materials).
- Work very independently while interacting with a diverse workforce to collect, evaluate, analyze, and tabulate data for inclusion into project environmental documents, engineering designs, and contract documents.
What You Bring
- Advanced traffic noise modeling skills and experience with Traffic Noise Model (TNM) computer noise modeling software.
- Knowledge of highway design and proficiency with MicroStation, ArcGIS and Geopak software.
- Knowledge of NCDOT Traffic Noise Policy, NCDOT Traffic Noise Manual, NCDOT Air Quality Manual, and Federal Highway Administration regulations related to traffic noise/abatement, project-level air quality analysis, highway planning, environment, design and construction.
- Demonstrated planning and coordinating skills.
- Project management skills.
- Ability to evaluate and review work done by others.
- Analytical skills to assess technical data to draw conclusions, make recommendations, and decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to clearly express recommendations to professional colleagues and the public.
- Advanced acoustic expertise, especially related to traffic noise and highway-related noise impacts and abatement.
- Candidates registered as a Professional Engineer or Professional Land Surveyor by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
- There may be the opportunity for the position to work in a Wake County office rather than the Durham Division Office.
- You may be required to register as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, and
- 4+ years of relevant experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call Charlene Phillips at 919-707-6060.
Follow NCDOT Careers on
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs