About the Job
A senior environmental acoustician leads the assessment or evaluation of ambient noise environments both at the project-site and community level, quantifying noise generation and potential adverse effects or impacts from (or to) proposed development or land planning activities and formulates recommendations for the management of predicted noise levels for compliance with applicable regulations and industry guidance. Dudek is seeking a strong environmental acoustician candidate with 7+ years of experience in the environmental consulting industry to support our growing environmental noise practice.
The position will be hybrid and located in any of our California or Portland, OR. offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for preparing noise and vibration impact studies for a range of project types (residential, commercial, industrial, renewables, etc.) in accordance with CEQA / NEPA requirements and relevant local standards and guidance.
- Designing and leading field surveys to measure and characterize existing noise and vibration conditions in project areas.
- Conducting noise and vibration measurements to demonstrate compliance with noise ordinances, building codes, standards, specifications, and ANSI guidelines.
- Directing and performing detailed acoustic modeling and mitigation scenario analyses using industry-adopted software such as FHWA TNM 2.5 and Datakustik CadnaA, including exterior-to-interior noise reduction assessment (e.g., net transmission loss evaluation of building shell components).
- Communicate with and concisely explain acoustic technical concepts to clients and members of the public in an engaging and rapport-building manner.
- Quickly build relationships and trust with both internal customers and external clients; and actively market Dudek's full range of environmental and architectural acoustics capabilities.
- Prepare scope-and-fee estimates for standalone noise/vibration studies and participate in multi-discipline Dudek service proposals and the pursuit of new clients.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Physics, Acoustics, Environmental Science, or related subjects.
- 7+ years of related experience and proven track-record in acoustic consulting pursuant to the requirements of CEQA and NEPA.
- Knowledge, understanding, and experience with transportation and construction-related noise and vibration analysis methodologies accepted by FHWA, FTA, and Caltrans (e.g., and advanced noise modeling software such as CadnaA.
- Experience in using and customizing spreadsheet-based noise and vibration models.
- Experience using equipment and accepted methods to measure sound and vibration, and associated software to download, process, and analyze collected data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, quantitative and/or modeling skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task, and the ability to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment while keeping clients and stakeholders informed of progress.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Organized, detail-oriented.
- Experience with reviewing project design development plans, equipment specifications (or manufacturer engineering data) and construction documents to glean modeling input parameters and identify potential acoustical concerns.
- Service-oriented, motivated self-starter with sound business practices.
- Experience with mentoring, educating, training, or otherwise providing guidance to and facilitating learning of junior colleagues, students, or lay-persons.
Dudek is a leading environmental and engineering firm that helps public and private clients plan and implement reliable, effective, and compliant projects. Founded in 1980, Dudek is a stable company that has grown steadily to more than 600 professionals across the U.S., located primarily in offices in California, Hawai’i, and Oregon.
At Dudek, we need inclusivity to succeed and diversity to lead. We understand that the best problem solving happens when diverse viewpoints and experiences are applied. We recognize that different perspectives, inclusivity, and trust build a stronger culture and add value to our firm. We celebrate our differences and strive to make meaningful progress toward becoming a more diverse company.
As an employee-owned company, Dudek’s culture rewards smart, productive team members with professional and financial benefits. Our offices are designed to encourage collaboration, sustainability, and connectivity with the surrounding communities.
Please visit www.dudek.com to learn more!
Dudek is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.
COVID-19 Update: Protecting the health and safety of our communities is our highest priority. Please note that due to the federal government’s recent Executive Order for federal contractors, Dudek has adopted a policy requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exemptions/accommodations based on medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, or applicable state laws and regulations.
https://dudek.applytojob.com/apply/EfU81KFhOm/Senior-Environmental-Acoustician Cody Littleton - Dudek Talent Acquisition Specialist Clittleton@dudek.com 760.479.4852