POSITION: Staff Noise Control Consultant or Trainee
REPORTING TO: Owner and Principal Consultant, Sarah Taubitz
LOCATION: Work From Home. Must be local to Central Coast of California
About the Position
The Central Coast of California is calling! Wine country, ranches, beautiful beaches. Perhaps you love to surf? 45dB Acoustics, LLC is a small and agile acoustical engineering consulting firm located in the Central Coast of California, providing a wide range of acoustical consulting services for local and national clients including architects, planning/development and engineering professionals as well as residents. Noise and vibration are important factors in building design, acoustical comfort, and remediation/improvement of noise isolation.
We are seeking an independent and self-directed science or engineering enthusiast to join our team as an experienced consultant, or trainee to grow into one! This is currently a part-time position with flexible hours, which may quickly grow into full-time responsibility.
- Start with 10 hours per week with availability/flexibility for 15-25 hours per week the first year, progressing to full-time status.
- Candidate must be physically located in/near the Central Coast of California, as this position will require occasional travel to client project locations for field testing and meetings.
- Good fit for someone looking to grow into a long-term employment capacity as the business continues to grow.
You're Perfect for 45dB if...
- You don't want to just design concert halls and theaters.
- You have been told you have a keen ear, or are “noise-sensitive”. You are fascinated by how sounds travel, or how noisy things can be made quieter.
- You are intrigued by knowing that not all buildings are created equal, and that some can create a magically peaceful interior environment where others can be insufferable!
- You are a self-starter, eager to take initiative and anticipate needs.
- You pride yourself on being resourceful. Before asking a question, you naturally look for ways to find the answer independently. You have a positive, high-energy attitude and “get it done” mindset that searches for solutions instead of focusing on struggles. This is essential. That said…
- You are not afraid to ask questions and seek support to ensure work is efficiently executed.
- You are efficient and succinct. You exude a high level of professionalism and emotional maturity. (We understand everyone has a personal life, but we won’t tolerate drama).
- Continuous improvement of yourself and the way you work is a high priority.
- Technology comes naturally. You don’t have to be a pro, but a general understanding of online tools and a technical aptitude for grasping the tools used for project work, is essential.
- You are an effective verbal and written communicator, and use Microsoft software tools.
The successful individual will assume increasing responsibilities in: acoustic software modeling using SoundPLAN®, INSUL, measuring sound and vibration in the field, collecting and processing data, and writing reports.
- Flexible work hours at your own home, 10+ hours/week growing into full time as your skills grow!
- Occasional local travel (e.g., 1-4x/month) to client project locations to complete field testing.
- Preparation of technical reports and graphics. SketchUp, AutoCad or other CAD program would be desirable
- Use of project management software Asana to track and monitor project tasks.
- Day-to-day communications and video calls with 45dB team members using Microsoft Teams and/or Telegram.
- Learn and assume responsibility for acoustic measurement equipment and software tools. Training in-house and/or externally may be provided.
- Assume responsibility in using and interpreting a variety of technical documents—e.g., engineering drawings, maps, engineering formulas, engineering software.
- Skills in MS Word and Excel software and graphics software for report preparation and data analysis
- Coursework or degree in Architectural, Environmental, Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or similar Engineering, Physics, or a related academic field, with the ability to provide transcripts.
- Ability to complete and discuss an approx. 45-minute Emotional Intelligence (EQ) test through Psychology Today Magazine online.
- Adaptability and independence to perform field work independently, and lift 40 pounds
- Driver’s license and transportation to travel to regional project locations for testing field work.
- Demonstrated creative and practical approach to solving problems and meeting deadlines.
This position is subject to a drug screen and background check.
- Experience with sound level meters
- Work experience in architectural, mechanical, electrical, or other related engineering discipline
- Experience with SoundPlan, CadnaA, INSUL, Sketchup, MATLAB and/or other noise and CAD software
- Experience and enjoyment of preparing technical reports with complex graphics
Email your resume and a cover letter describing why you would like to work with us to admin@45dB.com.