How to Apply
You MUST apply at https://bit.ly/3F72OVf by May 11, 2022 at Midnight EST to be considered.
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Don't take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
We are looking for an experienced aviation planning and environmental engineer to join our Airport Development team that promotes NC's economic well-being by developing a safe and robust air transportation system. Our team drives statewide aviation business development, airport infrastructure planning and development, unmanned aircraft systems safety and use, safety education and training, and air transportation.
In this role you will:
- Help manage prioritization, planning, and compliance of NC- and federally-funded infrastructure development projects for NC’s public airports.
- Work with NC's 62 general aviation airports to oversee airport planning and environmental issues.
- Serve as the reviewer for all airport infrastructure project documents to ensure they meet federal environmental, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), and stormwater requirements.
- Attend Airport Layout Plan/Master Plan scoping meetings for each planning project (~30/year) and public meetings, as available, to track progress and provide input.
- Submit Runway Safety Area inventory data to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
- Assist with grant assurance compliance investigations.
- Work directly with FAA staff, airport consultants, and airports to finalize airport master plans.
- Manage NCDOT Aviation contracts with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide wildlife hazard mitigation training, site assessments, and incident management.
- Evaluate designs and proposals from private engineering firms (PEFs) and airport authorities to ensure solutions proposed for airports are consistent with good planning practices and environmental requirements.
- Develop and implement best practices, standard operating procedures, and guidance for aviation planning and environmental processes for NC general aviation airports.
- Present on planning and environmental topics at NCDOT-hosted professional development courses and annual airport planning meetings.
- Provide training for NCDOT staff.
- Conduct research tasks related to environmental and planning topics.
- Contribute data to and write, edit, and proofread materials, including memos, reports, emails, invitations, PowerPoint
- Participate in and contribute to the NCDOT's strategic planning, tracking, and reporting activities helping advance our agency’s vision and mission.
What You Bring
- High professional, collegial energy that thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to advance NCDOT’s goals.
- Problem solving skills, takes initiative and acts effectively to ensure projects and tasks are completed successfully.
- Experience planning, developing, scheduling, tracking, and completing projects independently or with limited supervision.
- Experience in planning/environmental roles related to transportation projects.
- Experience developing guidance and delivering training on technical topics.
- Problem-solving experience in customer service-related scenarios involving complicated engineering concepts that need to be communicated to various stakeholder groups.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, and
- 4+ years of relevant experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- We may require you to be registered as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
Call me: Eileen Cusyck at 919-814-0541.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at
See all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobs
Eileen Cusyck at 919.814.0581